Saturday, November 27, 2010

chapter fifty-seven;

The next morning, I packed up all my stuff and waited for Brent in the lobby. I was still confused as hell about what went on the night before. Did he really mean that? All this back and forth was enough to give me a concussion of my own.

I looked up from my seat and saw Brent walk around the corner. I swallowed a lump in my throat as I noticed he was just in jeans an a t-shirt - considering it was pretty warm in LA today.

"Hey, you ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go."

"How's your head?"

"Pounding, but I feel better, now." He smirked, which caused me to roll my eyes.

Our flight back to Chicago was shockingly good. We made small talk every now and then, but I think he knew I still needed some space to deal with this. One second we hated each other, now we're kissing in a hotel hallway? It was too much.

I was beyond tired when we landed in Chicago. I hardly got any sleep last night. Brent and I took a cab back up to my apartment complex. I wanted to spend time with Brent tonight just in case he passed out or something. He followed me up to my apartment. I dropped my bags into the hall and headed straight for the kitchen.

"Wow this place is nice."

"Thanks. Steph and I were so lucky to find it."

He nods as he sits down on the couch. I found myself looking through all the mail Steph left for me on the counter. I had a lot of crap, but one envelope caught me off guard. It had a small blue maple leaf in the corner. My heart began to pound as I realized it was from the Toronto Maple Leafs. I had applied to them as a medic a week ago after not being able to handle being around Brent. I ripped it open quickly and read it with shaking hands.

Dear, Alyssa Keith.

We have received your application and copy of your degree last week. We were very pleased with your work and internship with the Kelowna Rockets. Please keep in mind that this isn't an easy process but a job opening has come about as one of our assistant medic's has taken maternity leave as she is due in the next two months. We will discuss your future with the team when the time comes, but as for now, it would be great if you could respond to us as soon as possible. When you do, our company will be more than pleased to pay for your transportation up to Toronto and housing expenses for the rest of the season.

Regards, the Leafs medical organization.


I froze.

I got the job.

I couldn't believe it. I got a job working for my childhood team. Toronto seemed so close to me that I could taste it. But what about Brent? If he really cared about me, he'd understand.

"What's that?"

"Uhm, maybe you should sit down for this."

He looks at me with concern as we both went over to the couch. I was shaking so much right now. I nervously run my fingers through my hair as he grabs my vacant hand. I could feel the tears clogging up my throat.

"Well you know how we've been at each others throats since the Olympics?"

"Yeah."

"Well, one night, I was so mad that ..."

"That what? You can tell me babe."

"I applied for a job with the Leafs."

Silence hung in hair as he let go of my hand. Brent's facial expression dropped as he rubs the stubble on the side of his face. I wasn't sure how to react. I finally got him back, and I was leaving yet again. It's like I wasn't supposed to be with him, ever.

"Ally, are you kidding me? Why did you do that?"

"Cause I was upset and I wanted to get away from here."

"But, we're going to the playoffs soon. I want you to be there."

"Brent, you don't want me. You just think you do."

"You're not going!" He snapped.

"I beg your pardon?!"

"Ally, I'm sorry for everything that's happened before. But this is going to be a huge playoff run for us. The team needs all the medical help in the world."

"But this could boost my career too. Stop being so selfish."

"Oh, so you going off to Toronto isn't selfish?"

"No! It's only for a month anyway."

He suddenly grows interested, "What?"

"I'd only be filling in for a girl who had to leave. Plus Toronto's dead last in the league so they're season will be done next month."

He breathes a sigh of relief and hugs me. "Thank god. I didn't want you gone long."

I just nodded as the acid turned in my stomach. I'm not telling him that I had a chance to stay with the leafs next season too. He didn't need that. I didn't need that either.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my God, although I am happy that Ally got her dream job with the Leafs, I really want to know what she is going to do about the following season.

    Oh, Brent and Ally. With all of the ups and downs they have had, I am very curious to see where their relationship goes from here.

    Great update. Can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww! but oh. i don't know what i want for her. this story is so amazing! update soon, i need to figure this out just like her! lol great work as always!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent and Ally's love life is like a roller coaster, so many ups and downs and crazy turns along the way.

    I can't wait to see what happens with Ally leaving for Toronto. Great update, I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete